So 21 days into being a Vegan and what have I accomplished? A lot, and nothing at the same time. I feel amazing most mornings, not tired and groggy and half-asleep when i walk out the door as I used to, I have lost *some* weight, and will continue to do so. I have been totally inspired to go to the gym at least 3-4 times a week for an hour at a time, building up slowly to longer.
After 21 days Oprah gave up her Vegan detox and went back to eating as she used to, after 21 days, I am inspired to continue on until at least the end of December, although I don’t know how i’m going to get through Christmas, but I will somehow. However, by now I am a little bored by what I am eating and in search of some new recipes or ideas for what to eat, or what to do with soy products, so i started a little google search, and talked to my sister, although these are not tried and tested, here are some recipes i’ve found, that I will shortly be testing out and I will revert back to you with my findings, or, you can let me know, if you’ve tried them out, whether or not I should bother!
- 3 ripe bananas
1/4 cup oil
1 cup unrefined sugar (e.g. Raw Cane Sugar)
2 cups Whole Wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional—see other options listed below)
• Mash bananas (overripe ones make the best bread). Add oil/margarine and sugar. Mix well.
• Sift the flour, salt, and baking soda together and add to the banana mixture. Mix until the flour is blended (do not beat).
Pour into muffin pans or a bread pan and bake at 360°F until a toothpick comes out clean.
Optional: Add a handful of walnuts, oatmeal, raisins, chocolate chips, currants, coconut, or all of the above!
Makes 1 Dozen Muffins
Potato Leek Soup*
- 4 leeks (white part only), sliced
6 medium potatoes, diced
3 vegetable bouillon cubes
2 spring (green) onions, chopped, for garnish
• Place the leeks and potatoes in a large pot. Add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Add the bouillon cubes and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
• Remove from the heat. Transfer to a blender or food processor and process until thick and smooth.
• Divide the soup evenly among five bowls and garnish with onions.
Makes 5 servings
*Recipes are courtesy of www.goveg.com – they have some fab sounding Vegan recipes, only problem is, a lot of them contain refined sugar and white flours, which at the moment, I don’t eat, so I’m substituting for unrefined sugars and whole wheat flours, but that is entirely up to you, I’ll let you know how they turn out!